Which machine should I take with 1 or 2 robots?
Those who think there is only one answer to this question and maybe think it is a simple thing…. It is just an illusion.
Maybe you have installed 100 robot-units in your company with at least 2 robots each, and you think this is the most obvious solution.
Or on the contrary you have single-robot-units…. And they all look crazy for having installed robots in line to work.
It is just a matter of numbers.
No solution is the best, the right one is checking your numbers.
Let me explain myself
You have to hypothesize the two solutions and answer these questions:
- How important is flexibility? (do you always produce the same piece, or do you have to change it frequently?)
- How long do you take for the retooling?
- How long do you take for the programming?
- What are your batch production?
- How long do you need to replace consumables?
- What is the machine cycle time?
- How much does the machine cost?
These data allow you to analyse your situation and what you should do.
Obviously, the relative value of a processing machine with 2 robots costs less than a machine having one robot only: the work-station are substantially the same and the cost of a single robot is added and the productivity almost duplicates.
But you have also to consider that, if the machine with 2 robots stops, you have these disadvantages compared to 2 single machines:
- All your production doesn’t work.
- The downtime cost is much higher (because the machine is more expensive and the productivity id double).
- The restart is more complicated (because there are many variables).
It also has these disadvantages:
- More programming and adjusting time.
- Difficult optimization of the cycle time (one robot always finishes before the other)
- Higher number of outlets and deposits (therefore the overall cycle time is higher)
- Greater machining tolerances (during the reworking the pieces can move)
The advantages are:
- More productivity
- Less space to occupy on the floor
- Less total energy consumption (the work-stations are working more and waiting less)
- Less purchase costs
As you can see, it’s a complicated issue
It’s a short blanket!
When you may have found a solution, everything comes back into question….
Call me now to analyse you issue.
We developed excel simulation schedules that allow you to understand who much both solution cost.
Please contact me if you’re interested: firstname.lastname@example.org